Saturday 8 November 2014

Agincourt English Knights

These Knights are some Black Tree Design models I got from one of their sales.  I think there are some dynamic poses, I also think their foot knights are the best models in their medieval range. 


The Armour has been washed with a thinned down enamel black wash.  This technique outlines all the detail and highlights anything that shouldn't be there, flash e.t.c, and there does tend to be quite a bit on BTD models.   The method is also easy and quick excluding drying time, though if you want to speed up the drying for the enamel wash, just use a hair dryer.     After the black wash has dried, I  use metallic acrylics, bolt gun metal up too mitheral silver, too highlight the detail on the armour.  After that I block in any areas where the heraldry will go in white, this makes the heraldry nice and bright.   I then base coat any leather or gold parts in a dark brown.   
+
  


Because BTD models are on the larger size of 28ml,  there are large areas on which to place the heraldry.   I found the following coat of arms in a Reference book on heraldry, at my local library.









I shall go for the less fussy coat of arms.  I don't try to cram too much on as it tends to obscure the effect. If you wouldn't see the detail unless at point blank, I think its ok to leave it out.  So for example with the Coat of arms for Unfravile,  I will only paint the central Flower device and leave out the smaller ones in the background.


You can see from the knight in the foreground I have painted the black and red quarters, next I will add the different types of crosses for Lord Willoughby's coat of arms.



1 comment:

  1. This is very impressive! Can you tell me the name of the book with the heraldry illustrations?

    ReplyDelete